About Belleville Cemetery
The Belleville Cemetery Company was organized in 1872. Previous to this, burials were made in the city church yards but it became evident that more room would be required and preferably, out of town. Interested citizens therefore banded together and purchased 65 acres of land in what was then The Township of Sidney and fronting on the Trent Road, now designated as Dundas Street West within the limits of the City of Belleville. These pioneers purchased from one to as many as six lots, each lot containing six or eight graves. Each lot owner became a shareholder. The only shareholders then, as now, being the lot owners. The Company is owned by the lot owners and is administered by a Board of Directors composed of up to six lot owners elected for three year terms at the annual meeting of the lot owners, two to be elected each year.
The Belleville Cemetery Company, a not-for-profit corporation and is dedicated to the provision and maintenance of burial locations for the citizens of Belleville and the surrounding area in a serene, park like setting. The Cemetery is operated solely for the benefit of the public. All money received is employed or reserved solely for the administration and maintenance of the Cemetery, and for the development of additional burial spaces and facilities to meet the ongoing requirements of Belleville and the surrounding area.